Applying for a Passport

Applying for a Visa

***Please note that these are general guidelines. Information will vary on a country-by-country basis.

  • You will first need to determine whether or not you need a visa. The rules are clearly spelled out on the Department of State website. In most cases, students who are away 90 or more days will need a visa.
  • If you are going on an exchange program, the international university will provide you with some kind of documentation that will accompany the visa paperwork you submit to apply for your visa. This might be a form or a letter-documentation requirements vary by country.
  • Students going on third party programs need to work through the company they are traveling with.
  • Students are responsible for obtaining a visa and any related expense. This might include being required to submit documentation and paperwork in person at an embassy or consulate.
  • Students should not delay in getting visa applications submitted. It can take up to three months to process a visa request. It might be the case that you have to submit your passports with the paperwork. In this case, you need to make a copy of the passport picture page for our files before you send off the passports for visa purposes.

State Department Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

  • The Center for Global Engagement registers all students studying abroad with the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
  • Upon being registering for STEP, you will begin receiving routine emails from the embassy concerning your destination. Please be sure that the email provided in your online application profile is accurate and check this account periodically before you go and regularly while you are abroad for updates.