History of the Longwood University Bed & Breakfast
The University Inn
(formerly the Alumni House)
The Bed & Breakfast was originally built in 1880 and served as a private residence to Dr. Cunningham. Dr. Cunningham later served as President of the college (1887-1897) which at that time was called the Female State Normal School. The house was later purchase by the University for the president, Dr. Jarman, and served as the home of Longwood Presidents until 1969. In 1969, President Dr. Willett moved his family to the current presidential home, Longwood House. The house then became work space for the Alumni Office and later transitioned into overnight accommodations for faculty/staff, alumni, parents, and friends of the university. Today it is known as the Longwood Bed & Breakfast open to the public to use and enjoy.
Farmville is a market and educational center, located within 1-1.5 hours driving distance of Richmond, Charlottesville and Lynchburg. Founded in 1798, Farmville’s economy was built upon tobacco and the railroad for several succeeding generations.
Two higher educational institutions, Hampden-Sydney College (1775) and Longwood University (1839) have made the town a center of intellectual and educational activity for over two centuries.
More recently, Farmville has become widely known as the home of Green Front Furniture, a nationally prominent center for discounted high end furniture and imported oriental carpets that are housed in the cavernous former tobacco warehouses.
The most recent addition to the Farmville area is the 18 hole championship golf course designed by Rick Robbins. The Manor features bent grass fairways and is located just one-half mile south of intersection US 460 and 15S in Farmville.