The Longwood University Foundation, Inc., was incorporated on July 17, 1959, as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization to support the vision and goals of Longwood University.
The Longwood Foundation has a rich and accomplished heritage. Its membership has always been comprised of men and women of integrity and devotion to the University that continue to serve the Commonwealth with pride. Awarding scholarships with funds raised is a key component of the Foundation’s mission. In 2015 the Longwood Foundation awarded $1.4 million in scholarships, enabling worthy students to become part of the Longwood family of future citizen leaders.
The first reference to the financial status made in May 1960, revealed $25 dollars in the bank account and the remaining money, approximately $15,000, invested in bonds. The financial report in September 1970 indicated a balance of $72,000. By May 1980 the treasurer reported $1.2 million in assets, by September 1989 $5.7 million, and by February 1997, a total of $14.7 million was reported. According to our last audited financials, the total for June 2013 was $69.3 Million.
With the funds raised in 1989 we were able to award $172,000 in scholarships; by 1997 it increased to $510,000 and in June 2008, for the first time, we surpassed $1 million in scholarship funding. In June 2015 the Foundation awarded $1.4 million in scholarships.