How is the Department of Residential and Commuter Life (RCL) organized?

  • Residence Education Coordinators (RECs) are supervised by both the Director of Residential Programs and the Off-Campus Area Coordinator.
  • The Associate Director of Residential Operations, Assistant Director of Occupancy Management and the RCL Coordinator are directly supervised by the Director of Housing.
  • The Directors, Associate Directors and Assistant Director work in collaboration to oversee the RCL program and manage day-to-day operations, including maintenance, assignments and desk operations. 
  • The Commuter Education coordinator is supervised by the Assistant Dean of Students and works to oversee the Commuter Assistants. This position works closely with the commuter population through programming directed towards this student population.
  • The Director of Residential Programs works closely with the Director of Housing in order to assist with maintaining the Longwood Managed living spaces. This position supervises the RECs, manages all student- staff processes, and oversees residential programming. 
  • The Assistant Director, Occupancy Management is responsible for the assignments process for the University.
  • The Associate Director, Residential Operations is responsible for all departmental operational items including openings, closing and maintenance concerns.
  • Area Coordinator Off- Campus is a live-in staff member for the Longwood Managed Apartments. This position oversees all off-campus RECs alongside having the duties of a REC as well.
  • The RECs manage halls of approximately 450-750 students, establish and oversee a residential education program, and supervise paraprofessional staffs of 7-15 Resident Assistants, 8-20 Desk Aides, and one Desk Supervisor. Each REC meets one-on-one with their respective supervisor bi-weekly.

There is also one weekly staff meeting in which all RCL staff members come together to address pertinent campus and RCL issues.

What is a typical judicial load for Professional Staff?

Professional Staff average approximately at most 10-15 hearings per semester. In addition, each REC serves as an advisor to a student-run Judicial Board, which requires involvement approximately four times per semester.

Do the professional staff participate in an on-call schedule?

Yes. The "On-call REC" carries a cell phone and binder from Monday until the following Monday. While on-call, you must be in the Farmville area and may not leave town. There is always an Administrator On-Call who serves as a back-up to the REC On-Call in times of crisis. During large weekends, break closings, and other designated times, all staff may need to be on campus to perform "on-call" responsibilities.

What types of professional development opportunities can I expect to find?

RCL Professional staff have tremendous opportunities for committee involvement, advising student organizations (RCL Advisory Board, Greek chapters), budgetary responsibility, as well as sessions provided through the Student Affairs Professional Development. In the past, RCL has funded participation in national, regional and state conferences hosted by ACUHO-I, ACPA, NASPA, AFA, SEAHO, VACURH, VACUHO, and VASPA. Recently published books, periodicals, and other resources are updated regularly and available to RECs and their staffs. The Vice-President of Student Affairs, the Dean of Students, and the Associate Directors are very supportive of professional development opportunities for their staffs.

What type of office space does professional staff have?

Each staff member has an office containing a computer, printer, Longwood issued phone, and all the necessary files. Office supplies are made available as needed to professional staff.

What is the parking situation like on campus?

Each professional staff member has access to a faculty/staff parking pass and parking conveniently located to their assigned community.

What are the REC apartments like?

The apartments are all full-sized (one bedroom or two) with non-institutional furniture, including a queen-sized bed, bedroom suite, dining table, and living room furniture. One bedroom apartments are equipped with a sleeper sofa, while two bedroom apartments can be furnished with a twin or bunking beds in the second bedroom at your request. Each apartment comes with a kitchen, dining area, a full bath, cable, T-1 internet connection, and air-conditioning. Each is easily accessible to faculty/staff parking and is a short walk from your office.

What types of accommodations and services does Longwood/RCL provide for partners and immediate family members of RECs?

Partners and immediate family members have full access to the building/community in which the REC apartment is located and have access to many of the academic and recreational facilities on campus. On the REC meal plan, multiple meals may not be used during a single visit to dining hall, which will mean that partners, spouses, and guests will need to purchase their own meals in this facility.

Are the RECs permitted to have pets in their apartments?

The only pets allowed anywhere on campus are non-carnivorous, non-poisonous fish and service animals (seeing eye dogs, etc).

If I am offered this position, what type of orientation can I expect to receive?

All University employees participate in an intensive, day-long orientation session facilitated by the Human Resources Department. As well, the RECs go through an internal orientation process at the start of their contract period. During this orientation candidates learn about: managing day to day operations and Longwood policies/procedures. Orientation is also a time to develop the camaraderie and teamwork among professional staff members.

What if I have more questions?

You can find out more about jobs at Longwood on the Human Resources website, or send an email to