What is Self Assignment?

Self Assignment is an online registration process. Continuing residential students have the opportunity to designate one roommate who is in charge of obtaining an assignment for their group. This person is known as the "designated roommate."  This student needs to gather the Roommate Pin, RMS ID Number, and meal plan from each group member to complete the registration process for the group.

The student housing gateway allows the designated roommate to choose the location of assignment rather than indicating a preference for housing. Once the assignment is chosen, the designated roommate assigns his/her roommates to their desired beds and chooses their meal plans based on the information previously gathered. These room and meal plan assignments are confirmed before the designated roommate/housemate walks away from the computer.

When accessing the student housing gateway, students must use Internet Explorer or Firefox web browser and enable pop-ups.

*If necessary, assignments can and will be facilitated or revised at the discretion of RCL.

When do I register for housing?

Please review the detailed schedule regarding housing registration dates.   If you have any questions regarding when you are eligible to register for housing, please contact the RCL office at housing@longwood.edu or 434-395-2080.

Housing Registration Timeline (pdf)

When you review the housing registration timeline, please note that on each day of the apartment registration process eligible male and female students may register from 10am to 4pm.  For example, all rising senior male or female students can register from 10am to 4pm on the date designated for rising seniors.

Please note that on each day of the main campus residence hall registration process eligible female students may register from 10am to 1pm and eligible male students may register from 1pm to 4pm.  The main campus room genders are predetermined.  Therefore, male and female students are not competing for the same housing spaces.  The time is split on each day for male and female students to limit the user volume in the student housing gateway so that the server performs at an optimum speed for students.

What is a roommate pin?

Each student must log into the student housing gateway and create a roommate pin prior to the online housing registration process.  This roommate pin must be given to the designated roommate who will be registering the group for housing.  If a student forgets his/her roommate pin, the student can log in at any time and reset the roommate pin.  Once a student sets up his/her roommate pin, the student will receive a confirmation email from the RCL office with the student's Roommate Pin and RMS ID Number.  The student should forward this information to the designated roommate.

Please note:  By giving the Roommate Pin and RMS ID Number to the designated roommate, you are authorizing the designated roommate to register you for housing.  The RCL office cannot provide the roommate pin or RMS ID number information to the designated roommate.  The designated roommate must gather this information from each group member.

What is full occupancy?

Full occupancy indicates every bed space within a chosen assignment must be occupied by a continuing residential student. This means students who register during the Apartment or Main Campus registration processes must have enough individuals to fill the assignment location in order to register for the apartment unit or residence hall room.  Full occupancy is required to register for an apartment or a residence hall room.

For Example:
• Landings 4 BR Apartment - designated housemate must have information to register 3 other current residential students.
• Longwood Village 3BR Apartment - designated housemate must have information to register 2 other current residential students.
• Main Campus Double Room - designated housemate must have information to register 1 other current residential student.

How do I "pull in" a roommate?

During housing registration, the designated roommate will have the opportunity to log into the student housing gateway, select a housing assignment, and pull in other current residential students that they wish to live with them. The designated roommate will either be the student that is squatting the apartment or the student with the higher number of credits.

For example, if student A is currently living in Lancer Park 205C and the student is squatting the apartment, this student is the designated roommate and will assign all 4 students to the apartment on the appropriate date for squatters. Another example is if a rising Senior wants to room with a rising Junior, then the rising Senior would be the designated roommate and would register themselves and roommates for housing on the appropriate date for rising Seniors.

The designated roommate must collect three pieces of information from all group members to pull in the student as a roommate.  Below is the information that is needed.

  • Roommate Pin
  • RMS ID Number
  • Meal Plan

Who is eligible to live in the Longwood Managed apartment communities?

All current residential students that have not submitted an off-campus intent form are eligible to live in:

2-bedroom apartments at Lancer Park and Lancer Park North and South
4-bedroom apartments at the Landings, Lancer Park, & Lancer Park North and South
3-bedroom apartments at Longwood Village

Only Rising Juniors and Seniors are permitted to participate in the housing lottery for assignment to a Studio apartment at Lancer Park and a Studio apartment at the Landings.  Therefore, students must have earned at least 56 recognized Longwood credits at the conclusion of the spring 2017 semester to be eligible to register for a Studio apartment.

How do I learn more about the housing registration process, off-campus intent process, or find a roommate?

RCL recommends that all students attend an information session to learn more about the housing processes and/or find a roommate.
Please save the date and attend one of these sessions:

Apartment Registration & Off-Campus Intent Information Sessions

Wednesday, January 25th at 7pm in Lankford Student Union - ABC Rooms

Thursday, January 26th at 4pm in Lankford Student Union - ABC Rooms

Tuesday, February 7th at 7pm in Lankford Student Union - Union Ballroom

Wednesday, February 8th at 9pm in Lankford Student Union - Union Ballroom

Main Campus Residence Hall Information Sessions

Wednesday, March 1st at 4pm in Lankford Student Union - ABC Rooms

Wednesday, March 15th at 9pm in Lankford Student Union - ABC Rooms

What if I don't have a roommate?

Plan to attend one of the housing information sessions, which will also be a "Mix 'n' Mingle" event. During the mix and mingle, RCL will assist students with finding mutual roommates.

If a student cannot find enough roommates during the apartment registration process, the student can submit the apartment waitlist form through the student housing gateway beginning February 24.  The waitlist will be rank-ordered by earned credit hours.  Once space is available, RCL will assign students to an apartment space.

If a student cannot find enough roommates during the main campus residence hall registration process, the student can submit preferences for housing through the student housing gateway on the designated dates for solo residents.  Once space becomes available, the RCL office will assign the student to a housing space. 

Every attempt will be made to honor the student's housing preferences. Based upon space availability it will not be possible for every student to be assigned to one of their preferred residence halls or apartment community.

If I am currently a commuter student, can I participate in the self-assignment housing registration process?

No.  The housing registration process is ONLY for continuing residential students.  Only students currently living in one of the main campus residence halls or in the Longwood managed apartment communities are eligible to participate.  Due to the increased demands for Longwood managed housing, the RCL office is unable to allow current commuter students the opportunity to live in Longwood managed housing.  Those students with additional questions, should email housing@longwood.edu or call (434)395-2080.

Which apartments at Lancer Park have a bedroom without a window?

There are some apartments at Lancer Park that have a bedroom within the apartment that does not have a window.  Please review the list below that includes the list of apartments.  If you have additional questions, please contact the Residential and Commuter Life Office.

Lancer Park Bedrooms Without a Window

Which apartments at Lancer Park are Townhouses? 

The units listed below are townhouses. Students can utilize this list to assist when searching for a townhouse in the student housing gateway during the registration process.

  • 101
  • 102
  • 103
  • 800
  • 801
  • 803
  • 1004
  • 1005
  • 1007

Got Housing Questions?

RCL staff will be available to answer questions about the Longwood Managed Apartment Registration process, Main Campus Housing Registration process and Off-Campus Intent process in the lobby of Dorill Dining Hall from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. on:

  • Wednesday, November 2 
  • Thursday, November 3 
  • Tuesday, January 24 
  • Wednesday, January 25 
  • Monday, February 6
  • Tuesday, February 7
  • Wednesday, February 8
  • Thursday, February 9

Can I live in the same main campus residence hall room next year?

Students will be unable to squat his/her room. If the student's current housing space is available at the time the student completes the registration process, the student may select the same housing space.

South Ruffner residents will be permitted to squat his/her room.  Information regarding this process will be emailed directly to South Ruffner residents in early January.

Important: RCL will designate floors for freshmen. These rooms will not be available to continuing students during the housing registration process because these rooms will be reserved for new freshmen.

Can I choose my suitemates?

The main campus registration process is designed to allow students to self-assign themselves and roommate(s) to an available main campus room.  Therefore, students are not able to select his/her suitemates during the registration process.

What if I have a disability or health need?

Visit Specialized Housing

What if I am going to be an RA next year?

If you have turned in your acceptance to the RA Search Committee, then you will be assigned a room by your supervisor. Your supervisor will contact each RA regarding instructions to register for housing in early April.

What happens if I miss my day to sign-up?

If you miss your day to sign-up, you will be permitted to register on the next available self-assignment date.

What if I am going to live on my Greek affiliated hall?

Each organization's housing chair will submit the housing roster to the Associate Director of Occupancy Management.  The Associate Director of Occupancy Management will ensure that each student is assigned to the correct spaces and will provide each student with a confirmation email regarding the assignment. 

What if I am going to live on the Honor's hall?

Each organization's housing chair (or person in charge of housing assignments) will submit the housing roster to the Associate Director of Occupancy Management. The Associate Director of Occupancy Management will ensure that each student is assigned to the correct spaces and will provide each student with a confirmation email regarding the assignment.

What if I am not registered for 12 credits?

All residential students are required to maintain a course load of 12 credit hours. This policy is designed to maintain the commitment to an educational residence hall environment. Requests for exceptions should be forwarded to the Dean of Students.

What if I am not Returning to Longwood in the Fall?

If you will not be returning to the university and will not be attending/registering for any Longwood courses, you must complete the withdrawal process. To withdraw from the university, you must contact the Registrar's office and complete a withdrawal form and complete the withdrawal process.

The Office of the Registrar
Ground Floor, Barlow Hall
201 High Street
Farmville, VA 23909-1899
Phone: (434)395-2580

Any student leaving Longwood managed housing for the reasons listed below must email housing@longwood.edu to inform the RCL office.

• Graduating
• Studying Abroad
• Interning outside of the 8 surrounding counties
• Student Teaching outside of the 8 surrounding counties

What if I want to live with an International Exchange student?

Any student wishing to be assigned an international roommate should submit the International roommate application, which can be found in the student housing gateway. All applications must be submitted by March 15.


What if I want to live with an incoming transfer student?

The room assignment process is designed for ONLY current/continuing residents. Assignments for new residential students (new freshmen, transfers and re-admitted) will be processed during the summer months, using a different allocation procedure. Therefore, continuing residential students are not permitted to assign themselves with new residential students.

What if I am academically or judicially suspended prior to the start Fall term?

An academic or judicial suspension will terminate the room and board assignment and the random bed space will be assigned to another eligible resident (from an anticipated waiting list).

When will the housing room and meal plan rates be approved?

The Board of Visitors has approved the 2017-2018 Housing and Meal Plan Rates (pdf). 

What if I want to change my room assignment?

A room assignment "freeze" is in effect until approximately 2 weeks after the start of the fall and spring terms for any non-administrative room changes. (incoming residents and if applicable, students living in temporary or transitional assignments will be given priority.) Unauthorized room changes are not permitted. Students found to have made an illegal room change will be assessed a $75.00 fee and will face judicial action.

What if I want to change my meal plan?

Students have until 5 p.m. on the add/drop date of each semester to change their meal plans.
Residential students may change their plans through the Student Housing Gateway. 

What if my question is not listed above?

Click here to send an email to housing@longwood.edu or call (434)395-2080.