Non-Degree Study

Students who wish to take courses for personal, educational or professional development and are not seeking a Longwood degree are welcome to take courses for which they are qualified. Non-degree student registration begins four weeks after opening of registration for degree seeking students. All our students are required to abide Longwood’s Academic Regulations (as outlined in the Course Catalog) and Honor Code.

As a non-degree student, you must meet any course prerequisites and admission standards. We will require unofficial transcripts of highest education level achieved.

Undergraduate Non-Degree Study

Students who have been denied regular admission to an undergraduate program at Longwood may not register as non-degree students without permission from the Dean of Admissions and the Dean of the College of the student’s intended major. Students who are still enrolled in high school may register as non-degree students if they are endorsed by their school counselor or principal and receive approval from the appropriate college dean. Non-degree seeking students must maintain at least a "C" average in order to continue. A student in this category who wishes to carry a full-time load (12 credits or more) must have permission from the Dean of the College; such permission is generally limited to those students who are working toward a special certification or license and who have demonstrated their ability to do college-level work.

Graduate & Professional Non-Degree Study

Those not enrolled in a graduate program may enroll in courses as a graduate non-degree student. Apply 

For further information on Graduate and Professional programs and courses, see all our Academic Programs.

Credit Evaluation

Non-degree students are advised that credits earned as a non-degree student are not necessarily applicable toward a Longwood degree program. After admission, such credits, as well as credits earned at other colleges or universities, will be evaluated as to the applicability to the specific degree program in which the student wishes to enroll.

Students are encouraged to apply for admission before they complete 24 undergraduate credit hours or 9 graduate credit hours.

Permission is required from the Registrar in order to take more than 24 hours as a special student.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is my first step?

Please use our Course Schedule Search to access our online catalog for course availability, descriptions and important dates. You must meet any course prerequisites and restrictions. Please provide an unofficial transcript of highest education level achieved. This is only required for the first term you are registered as a non-degree student.

How do I register?

As an undergraduate non-degree seeking student, you will be registered for classes through the Registrar’s Office. Depending on the course you wish to register for, you will need to complete a Non-Degree Enrollment Request and an Application for Virginia In-State Tuition Rates on a yearly basis to be considered for in-state rates. Your forms may be mailed or faxed to (434)395-2252. You may be asked to provide our office with a transcript if your class has a prerequisite.

What happens next?

We will review and process the registration request at the appropriate time.

A confirmation of registration or registration instructions will be sent to the email you provide.

User Support Services will follow up by sending your LancerNet ID and password to your personal email. This ID and password will access your myLongwood website. myLongwood is the student portal for academic and billing information. Any assistance with your myLongwood portal can be provided by User Support Services.

Tuition and fee payments are due in full and will follow the same billing policy and schedule as degree-seeking students. Please direct all billing questions to our Student Accounts Office.

What is the Drop/Withdrawal policy?

All non-degree students are required to meet the course drop and withdrawal deadlines. A drop will reverse any tuition and fee charges. A withdrawal will grade the course as a "W" and will not generate a tuition and fee refund.

I’ve completed a class at Longwood. How do I request my Longwood University transcript?

Please refer to our Records and Transcripts link.