If you are a Graduate student, please go to Graduate Transfer of Credit policies.

Transfer Articulation Agreement with the Virginia Community College System

An accepted transfer student who has earned an Associate in Arts degree (AA), an Associate in Science degree (AS) or an Associate in Arts and Sciences degree (AA&S) from the VCCS, RBC, MCCS or other approved out-of-state associate degree program, prior to entering Longwood is considered to have all of their lower-division general education goals met, is guaranteed junior class status, and is guaranteed that all credit earned for that degree will transfer (including D grades unless otherwise restricted for native students). The student must then meet major and degree requirements, except where those requirements have been met as part of the two-year college curriculum. Re-admit students cannot enter under the Articulation Agreement.  

Note: Students who complete a foreign language course at the 202 level or above as part of the Additional Degree Requirements are exempted from Goal 10.

Credits earned through examination (AP, IB, CLEP or DANTES) that were awarded credit by a VCCS institution will be treated on an equal basis as other credits earned at a VCCS institution.

All other associate degrees will be examined individually for applicability of transfer credit.

Specific Policies for Transfer of Credits

  • Students wishing to transfer VCCS "General Usage Courses" (such as cooperative education, seminar and project, and supervised study) will have to provide a college evaluator with additional information about the specific content of such courses.
  • No transfer credit is granted for developmental work.
  • No transfer credit is granted for orientation courses, or grades less than "C", unless the student has earned the AS, AA or AA&S from the VCCS, RBC, or MCCS.
  • Two courses with essentially the same content cannot both be counted toward the same degree.
  • Hours or fractions in excess of those carried by Longwood courses for which equivalency is made are counted as free electives. Hours or fractions waived in accepting course equivalences must be made up by elective credits to meet the total semester-hour requirements for a degree.
  • The cumulative grade point average of each student will be calculated only on work taken at Longwood. Transfer credit accepted from other institutions will be used to reduce the number of credits required for graduation, but it will not enter into the calculation of the grade point average.

Transfer Policy for Longwood Students Taking Courses for Credit at Other Institutions

Any regularly enrolled undergraduate who wishes to take work at another institution to transfer to Longwood must secure permission from his/her Dean prior to enrolling in such courses. Prior approval provides the student the opportunity to have the course reviewed to determine:

  • Whether the course will transfer
  • Whether the course will satisfy a particular requirement and
  • Whether the course might be considered a duplicate of a course already taken at Longwood.

Upon completion of work, official transcripts must be sent from the host institution to the Office of the Registrar.